Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Are Writers Actually Actors?

I was watching some interviews of the cast of The Avengers, and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) was talking about how he went about becoming Loki by examining his motives and how he's been treated by his family all his life and how finding out who his true parents were changed everything. He said that outside of Loki, he can judge his actions just like everyone else, but while he's being Loki, he has to find that compassion for him and realise why he's done all the terrible things he has. Tom also said acting was all about portraying the truth of humanity, and that making a villain human is a very key part of helping people relate and find sympathy for that villain. He mentioned that for him, acting is about understanding and expressing those traits of humanity that he doesn't possess, and so I'm on the other side of the screen going, "THAT'S JUST LIKE WRITING!!!" This made me so incredibly happy that he said this, guys; you have no idea. I've always sort of likened my experience as a writer to acting -- in order to be a good writer, you have to get inside your characters' heads, dig around, find out who they are, why they do what they do, and figure out the perfect way to portray that character and their traits realistically and be as truthful as possible. And Tom basically said the same thing!! I hadn't really thought about it in so much depth until I saw this interview, but then it struck me why it was so easy for me to switch between characters that are really crafty and sly and evil and messed up and characters that are kind and sweet and happy and innocent -- it's acting! It's just like slipping on a different skin, or changing clothes; once you've figured out how they fit, it's so simple to just toss off one character and put on another. 
        That really just made my day :D Another reason why Tom Hiddleston is one of my favourite actors ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment